Friday, February 20, 2009

Portrait in Pencil of Purdy the Labradoodle

pencil portrait of labradoodle copyright nancy moskovitz
12 x 9 pencil on Bristol Board
sold, but you can commission
your own pet portrait

A pet portrait in pencil has all the charm of a full color portrait. This seems like the right year to showcase pencil portraits. They are an affordable alternative.

The 12 x 9 drawing is on 2 ply acid-free Bristol smooth surface. It's not really gray at all; more of an off white cream color. This particular paper has two surfaces. One side is coated and slick. I drew on the other side which I believe is better for pencil. The pencil works great for a curly black dog.

The hard part is photographing a black dog. I took the reference photo outdoors in soft light. Think it was overcast.

How do you get a dog to pose? I pretended to play fetch. She got very alert.

How do you get a cat to pose? Haven't a clue.

Special pet portrait in pencil promotion until March 31. 9 x 12 or 12 x 9 for $99
Drawn from your photo reference. Email me a high resolution jpg as an attachment for a free no obligation consult.

More info at Portraits and Fine Art Paintings.

See more pet portraits on my website in the Pooch Portrait Gallery. I draw and paint cats too.

No comments:

Share

Bookmark and Share